Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Better late than never - My Red and White Quilt

Last year I attended the Sydney Quilt show and was totally enthralled by the Red and White exhibition.  I had actually started a quilt to enter into the exhibition, but did not get very far with it.  Since then I have started 2 and finished one of them.  The finished one is here for you to see.

Under usual circumstances I would have hand quilted this little quilt, but I just did not have the time as I needed it as a class sample.  Also, I did not want to spoil the whole thing by trying out my machine quilting!


I asked my friend Chris if she would be at all interested in quilting it for me.  This was not a random request of a friend who is a "good machine quilter".  Chris is a spectacular Prize Winning quilter, who has only become a machine quilter in recent years.  She has always been an exquisite hand quilter, but decided to expand her skills  -  with breathtaking results.  I made the request on a business basis, and it appears I am her first customer...lucky me!  You can see the results here.  Beyond the call of duty I would say, don't you think?

Should you be able to attend the Australian Machine Quilting Festival, later this year, you will find Chris O'Brien as one of the Tutors, and there may be a vacancy in one of her classes.  I signed up, as I want to get a bit more confidence and learn a few of the expert tips.

This festival is not just for professional machine quilters - it is for everyone, and there are great lectures, and market stalls, for those who love to shop.  I have no connection to the Festival, other than a participant.

On the workshop associated with the little red and white quilt, I will be teaching for Victorian Quilters on 14th August.  I am travelling to Melbourne on 13th August for the Annual General Meeting, and teaching the workshop the next day.  I will also be teaching the Rose Garden quilt.


which is hand pieced and hand appliqued blocks.  If you are interested in attending, please get in touch with the Victorian Quilters about vacancies.  Hope to see you then.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, Chris did a lovely job -- that border treatment is inspired! Your Rose Garden quilt is also wonderful. I love your colour sense! Traditional but also so bright and happy. Good luck with your class. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Rose Garden is one of my favorites. Simply gorgeous! And you are right, the quilting on your red and white is stunning. I love the way she made it look like hand quilting. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely teaching projects Wendy! I have just admired your "Birdy made me do it" at the Sydney Quilt show on Wednesday - gorgeous quilt. Your fabric choices and hand quilting are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt and quilting! Love the Red and White

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful quilts and I must say your friend & machine quilter did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, please move to England!!

    ReplyDelete