Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Friday, April 22, 2016

A little Red and White

Last year I went to the Sydney Quilt show and they had a really spectacular Red and White exhibition.  I had planned on an entry, but never quite got it all together.  However, the idea never left me.

I am always looking for ideas for workshops/classes, but I only want to make things to teach that I really like.  It was September last year when I showed the first couple of blocks HERE.  The designs are based on the German paper cutting craft Scherenschnitte.  You really have to work on your applique skills with this one.  You get to do inner and outer curves, inner and outer points, and cut outs.

So it all came to a head this last week when I had to get some project ideas ready for the Victorian Quilters Guild.  I have been invited to go to Melbourne in August to speak at their AGM, and do a workshop the next day.  Ok, time to get cracking on this one!  The border??  I woke up around 5am one day thinking I would do a machine piece zig zag border.  Got the books out for ideas, but changed my mind.  No it had to be appliqued.......and following in the paper cutting idea.

I cut a strip of paper as long as the borders, and folded in in half, and quarters and kept folding until it looked ok.  Then I marked points and made the cuts.  Folding it out, I had the right look.

I had added 4"white borders, and used the paper to draw lines on the back of them.
I put the red strips onto the right side of the borders, and from the back, I stitch on the machine, on the lines.  Here you can see the lines on the right side.  This is exactly the same as doing the "back basting"preparation by hand, but takes a fraction of the time.  Set your stitch length about 4 to make it easier.


I did two opposites at a time, then joined them in the corners with a neat stitch overlapping.





When you start with the applique, it is exactly the same technique used if you had tacked by hand.  You clip the machined stitches, then turn them under, and hand stitch in place.  However, there is a huge bonus in using the machine to tack (apart from the time saved)
Can you see the lines left when you take out the stitches?  They are really easy to see, and work as your guide to turn under.  You can use the machine to tack on any of the applique projects, but it works best of all of course, on the straight lines rather than the curves.  If you are more skilled than I am at manipulating the sewing machine, then you could use it on the curved applique as well.
Add the final 2 opposite sides and your done.  I had this done in two days and ready to photograph and send off to the Vic Quilters for the workshop.  I have to get it quilted now, but I can work on that later.

If you are a member of the Vic Quilters Guild I will be there in August and hope to meet some of you.





7 comments:

  1. what a super border, and while i won't be at the VQG Workshop i will be sure to remember this technique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tutorial on machine back basting, I have to try this technique - thanks for sharing! Your little Red & White quilt turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning little beauty. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! I want to try this! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I am impressed, and yes Scherenschnitte is not only hard to spell, but difficult to do. I learned it when I first started to applique. Beautiful work! Love the Reds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! Wish I'd seen it last year. I did a dogtooth border using only pins to hold down the top fabric. After applique was done, noticed it really cinched in the fabric. Bet it it was machine-basted I wouldn't have had this problem! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love red and white quilts. Yours is terrific, and reminds me of the hawaiian quilt applique.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete