Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

One UFO that will get finished

When I was having de-clutter a few weeks ago, and I was looking for odd blocks to turn into "something",  I found a box of treasures.
I decided they were too good to go into the "odd block"quilt and put them back on the shelf "for another day (year?)".  This quilt was started in March 2010.  How do I know that?  I blogged about it HERE .

The blocks were completed in August of that year.  I have the photographic evidence! Right here

So what went wrong?  The darn edge pieces and the sashing!  It is fun making the blocks, then you have to make it into a quilt!

On the weekend I went to the hospital to visit my friend Sheila.  She has been in and out of hospital for the last month, and pretty well sick of the whole thing. She asked me to bring along some "show and tell".  I dug out the blocks I have been working on for the last few weeks.

Plus the quilt blocks I found while cleaning out.  There I was, supposing to cheer up a sick friend (and by all accounts it did), and she was the one who inspired me into getting this thing finished.

I counted up and had 18 blocks.  I can recall that I had decided not to do a square quilt, but a rectangular one instead.  Also, I recall thinking I would do a straight set and not a on-point set......but I had 18 bloocks, which is what I needed to do the on-point.  It was those tricky side half block pieces that must have made them all go into the "too hard box" and stay there for 6 years.

I also found that I had made heaps of the 4 patch border pieces.  I can't not do it!

After my visit to hospital, I got home and started cutting up the sashing (yes I had that too!) and the setting squares.  I had more or less decided to use a pretty print on the sides instead of the pieced units, but could not decide on the print.

So, it did worked.  the visit to hospital cheered me up no end!  (sorry Sheila)

Today I made the first of the side triangles.  And, they are not as bad as I thought.  I made one, and it took me 5 minutes to cut and 5 minutes to sew.  So, once I get them quick cut, and feed them through the sewing machine, I recon I will have them done in a day.



This is how they go with the blocks and sashing.  I am really going to give myself a target with this one, and see if I can get it done this year  -  hand quilted and all!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Wendy,
    you are a genius, love your sashing, this is marvelous.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Très très beaux vos blocks , j'adore !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have given me the nudge to go and look at my UFO's anew, thanks Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the blocks, and that sashing sets them off quite nicely. I've been looking at my UFOs too, and hopefully I will get some finished this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh Wendy, you did cheer me up no end , it was so good to pet and stroke your blocks and discuss the potential. I am so very pleased you have decided to go with the on point set it will be fabulous. It was in your head all along , you just needed the opportunity to tall it through, I was just your sounding board. I am enjoying the books and the cookies go well with my warm milk to settle. Thanks for visiting. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sensational! Hope it cheered you both up!

    ReplyDelete