Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Monday, July 30, 2012

Playing with UFO's

I must be feeling better, and it is not as if I don't have things I "have to" do, but I started going through my boxes of UFO's today, trying to see what I might actually be able to finish.
These blocks are not actually UFO's, they are swap blocks.  Is that almost the same thing?  Over a 12 month period my quilting group SewJanes swapped these 6" Ohio Star Blocks.  Each month we had to make one block for each member of the group.  I think it was 14 to start with, and one girl decided that she had enough blocks, and not to make any more for her.  So I have a heap of them.  I used some as a border on a Medalion quilt a couple of years ago, and put them aside again.  Basically I decided that I would make a strippy quilt. and found this old purple/grey fabric for the triangles.  They are all attached.  Now I just have to decided on the strippy part.  I want to do red, as there is a little red in the setting fabric.  I have this red and black zig zag fabric.  Not sure it is really long enough, but I expect it won't matter that much if I have to join it some place.  There are 45 blocks in total - so 5 strips of 9 blocks is still a pretty big quilt.  Maybe I will make a few more and it could be 6 strips of 8........might change that sashing yet.....

3 comments:

  1. What lovely ohio star blocks, and a great setting for them too, I love the strippy setting, so very traditional!!!! Glad to hear you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better! Love your star blocks and love the red strippy fabric - can't wait to see it when it's finished! Gotta love a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blocks! I love the brown setting triangles with the red strippy idea. Looks good! Glad you're better. Quilting is the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete