Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Monday, April 23, 2012

Winter is on the way

and I have started knitting already.
Is this not spectacular!  I bought this yarn back in March when I was staying with my cousin in Sydney.  I went for a walk one day and came across Mosman Needlecraft
This is a shop on Military Road, at Mosman, on the lower north shore of Sydney.  It is chocker block full of beautiful threads, yarns, kits, and fabrics.  I was just window shopping inside, and spied this scarf hanging up.  I just loved it!  The nice lady in the shop got out all the colours in that yarn, and I could not make up my mind which one I wanted, so I bought 2 of course.   One is kind of warm colours and the other more primary colours.  Anyway, it is knitted on the side.  kind of hard to describe, but I will give it a go.

You start with 3 stitches, and add one each end inside the first and last stitch, until you have as many as you want.  I stopped at 35.  Every row is knitted, and every second row has no shaping.  Then you start to add one stitch at the beginning of the row  and decrease one at the end, by knitting together the 2nd and 3rd last stitches.  Again, knit only every second row.  When you get the scarf as long as you want, you kind of do the reverse, and make it smaller by decreasing at the ends of the needles until 3 are left.

It is turning into a very long scarf, but I can see this wrapped several times around my neck this coming winter, and it is not too fluffy or itchy to wear.

Have to get it finished soon so I can get back to my applique.  I need a break from time to time.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that with the cooler temps my thoughts do turn to the knitting needle!! This is spectacular yarn, and such a nifty way of knitting it up to get those angular lines in the scarf - beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete